Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Amazon Synopsis: They're Young, Fabulous and Fanged. . .

And they rule Manhattan from the trendy uptown clubs to the downtown boutiques. Fifteen-year-old Schuyler Van Alen has never quite fit in at her exclusive prep school - she's more of a vintage than a Versace girl - but all that's about to change. . .

Because Schuyler has just found out she's a Blue Blood. The Blue Bloods are the city's glamorous - and secret - vampire elite. They're young, beautiful and powerful. But now they're being murdered. And Schuyler must find out who - or what - is behind it before she's next.

Well, Christmas happened.I got this as one of my presents and was quite excited to read it. It had been one of those books that caught my eye whenever I went to the "children's" section of WHSmiths so I was really happy to finally get this book after so long. Read it mostly on my trip to Ireland and on the way back so it was a pretty quick read. Last finished book of 2013.

This is a Gossip Girl girl type book that follows Schuyler Van Alen (apparently her name is pronounced Skylar but I didn't realise that until half way through and couldn't stop calling her Shoo-ler. I learnt German for 5 years and that name is stupid so it is not my fault), a fifteen year old girl who lives in New York and goes to a school with an equally stupid name along side the city's richest socialites. Schuyler is different from everyone else though since she wears a lot of layers, none of which are designer. There is also mention to her not washing her hair for weeks so she is also disgusting apparently. 

Despite having the personal hygiene of a sloth, Schuyler finds out that it is her birthright to become a Blue Blood. These are the rich, elite group of vampires that live forever but change bodies (it is complicated and I am not explaining it fully). The vampire system in this seemed like a lot of work that was unnecessary in the overall outcome. It was hard to keep up with all the rules put in place by the author and it was obvious she had created a whole load of rules that made sense to her but not to everyone else. A mystery element is incorporated though when something starts killing Blue Bloods which should be impossible.

The author switches points of view though in the third person which is something I like as it kept the story flowing without giving one character too much credit. Many of the socialites featured in the book are vampires but only a few were actually part of the story. Bliss is a girl who featured heavily as well as Mimi and Jack Force, a pair twins with a weird bond. The characters were not very relatable and kind of annoying which was a let down. I found myself unable to connect with them on any level, Schuyler least of all, which only led to the book being tedious. As their relationships with each other grew I found that as a reader I didn't really care. There was a photo shoot that had no significance in the book and multiple romances that seemed to insta-love for my tastes.

A large proportion of the book was filled with descriptions of fashion items people were wearing leading to me just thinking "yay for your ability to wear clothes", Muse lyrics or buildings in the order they passed them which led me to skim read paragraphs to get to anything relevant to the story. I understand it revolves around upper New York society but it was getting ridiculous. 

The actual mystery surrounding who is killing Blue Bloods was a bit overcast by this over explained life as a socialite. Only one person got killed and when some cool scenes with fighting and people dying should have been instead Schuyler just lies on the ground about six times as she nearly dies and then there is a large amount of almost underage sex. 

The story had potential but since I could not relate to everyone and had no clue what designers people were wearing/ never seen the streets described I could not give it a higher rating.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About