Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Amazon Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Mallory loves her boyfriend, Jeremy. Or at least likes him more than she's ever liked any other boy. She's sure he feels the same way. Until she happens upon his online Authentic Life game and discovers he's cheating on her ... online. Mallory's life is falling apart and technology is the cause. And then she finds a list, written by her grandma when she was Mallory's age. All her grandma had to worry about was sewing dresses and planning dinner parties. Things were so much simpler in the 1960s. And there's nothing on the list that Mallory couldn't do herself. Maybe it's time for Mallory to go vintage and find the answers to her modern-day problems.

When I was at my dads for a weekend of no laptop and forced reading in an attempt to get through some of the books on my shelf I decided to pick this little contemporary back up. I had begun to read it in Ireland after buying it in the airport but only got about 30 something pages in before putting it down again for no other reason than I was not in the mood. When I did pick it up again though it proved to be a fun, light read with some feel good moments in there as well.

This book revolves around first person narrator Mallory who finds out that her boyfriend of 13 months has been having an emotionally intimate cyber relationship with someone called 'Bubbleyum'. Feeling betrayed that he shared these things with a total stranger but is not open with her, Mallory breaks it off and decides to have a life crisis. This takes the form of completing a bucket list her grandmother made in 1962 as a teenager and going completely vintage in her life. This means no mobile phone, laptop, Internet or even a wireless home phone. It soon clashes though with school and life but Mallory still has an interesting learning experience along the way.

When I first picked this up I did find it a bit annoying . Mallory seemed to be overreacting on an Oscar worthy scale and the narrative seemed really silly. The second time though I picked it up in a place that gave more insight into her feelings and her relationship with Jeremy. Mallory became a quirky, funny individual taking a stand that was tempting to take up in real life (I love tumblr too much to do it really though). Along side Mallory are a series of funny, interesting characters that join her 'pep club'.

There was a little romance in here and I loved every bit of it. What I liked though was that the book did not overly rely on the love story to move it forward. There was a large family element to this book involving Mallory's grandmother, sister and parents. Their involvement led to a more serious sub plot that was uplifting and sweet, her mother grinds on my nerves though...

As a whole, this book was a fun read with quirky and relatable characters that made me warm inside. There is not much else I can put down except if you want a light read that will be both heart warming and cute then pick this up.

Rating: 3.75/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About