Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Amazon Synopsis: Magic is dangerous – but love is more dangerous still... When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural fold stalk the gas lit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refuge with the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself fascinated by – and torn between – two best friends and quickly realises that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

It took me so long to read this book. I started it months ago but only read the first few chapters before putting down the beast of a book for something shorter. Partially it was because I had just finished the first 3 Mortal Instruments book and felt if I read anymore the world would become boring  and therefore would not finish it. I love this franchise too much to let that happen though so I took a break and then picked it up earlier this week when I felt myself falling into a reading slump. Of the 6 books I picked up none kept my interest so this one got picked up again. Third time lucky and all that. 

This is the prequel series to the Motal Instruments series and I read somewhere that you are supposed to read this one after book 3, City of Glass, and then switch between the series alternately which results in you finishing the 3rd book in the Infernal Devices trilogy in advance of City of Heavenly Fire, 6th and last book in the Mortal Instruments which comes out next year in may I believe.

This book follows Tessa Gray, a girl from New York, who has come to lovely London in order to find her brother Nate after the death of her guardian, Aunt Harriet. When she arrives though two women  are there to greet her with a letter from her brother claiming they will take her to him. Things are not as they seem though and soon Tessa finds out that the world is not as nice as she read in her books. Demons and Shadowhunters soon become a part of Tessa's life and we follow her as she attempts to find her brother with them. 

The setting this time is England and I must admit that this makes me happy as an English person. I get the customs more and understand the references to the weather whereas I have only been to New York once. It is Victorian London though, time of the Ripper and Sherlock Holmes and this dark city is portrayed wonderfully by Cassandra Clare. There is such a difference between its companion series yet there are still the similarities. She really managed to show London in this time period vividly despite not living there which even writers based in London struggle to do.

Tessa as a character was really relatable with her love of books and lack of overt good looks. She seemed to care less about what she looked like and more about enjoying her time through reading which was something I really liked. I got the feeling that in the future books she will become annoying. In past reviews of series I have talked about my distaste for the heroine who just does what she likes despite the people with all the training and understanding of the situation telling them to just stay where they are for a little bit. It just bugs me that they can get characters hurt/killed or enemies winning by doing this but no one blames them afterwards. Hopefully this does not continue because she was funny and smart which I love in a heroine. Also, the characters we are introduced to in this book for the most part have surnames that are recognisable from the other series so for some people you get a sense that you know their family and its style already. Each character was really different and well created so it was hard not to like some. 

A love story was included in this but not too much. There are male characters set up to have a love story later on like the sarcastic Adonis Will Herondale and the quiet sweetheart Jem Carstairs. Both of these are presented as possible love interests and it seems Tessa goes more for Will but personally Jem seems nicer. Will is the kind of character I like. He is a kicked puppy with a razor sharp wit but for some reason he did not call to me. Jem on the other hand was nice and tragic with a back story to break a heart. No sides have been picked but I be swaying towards Jem. Also going to mention the return of the beloved Magnus Bane so if you have not read it prepare yourself.

The story itself was action packed and intriging. There was a lot of mystery in this book which led to an infinite amount of plot twists that left me reeling. I don't know if I liked this book better than the Mortal Instruments or not. It certainly held its own but I will have to get back into the other world before I decide. Literally cannot wait to read the rest of this trilogy and hope I get one for Christmas.


Rating: 4.7/5



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About