Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Amazon Synopsis: Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life: Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she's simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That's why Kat isn't surprised when she's asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

This is the fourth Ally Carter book I have read in as many months and each time I read another of her books I like her even more. The last couple of books I have read were a bit dark and had serious undertones to the plot line and I just wanted something fun and light to read in between so I didn't go into a reading slump. Seeing this book on my shelf meant that it was an easy choice since I had already read the first instalment, Heist Society, and loved it (Review here). I was not disappointed with my choice.

**WARNING: Possible spoilers for the basic plot. Do not read if you like to read books without any inclination of anything**

This book picks up after Henley with Kat back in business. She has completed a series of jobs across Europe since Henley except she has been doing these ones solo. As she joins back up with the lovely Hale and Gabrielle she finds they are both a little bit upset with her abandonment of them to go do these jobs on her own. When she returns though they are soon presented with a new and more enticing case than their last: the Cleopatra Emerald. Throughout the book it is repeated that this is the big ass rock you just do not steal partially due to a curse and partially due to the fact that multiple crews have gone after the emerald before and all have failed. Kat believes in her new philosophy of stealing what needs returning though and agrees to help the old lady who asked for her help. Things go wrong though and once again the crew is reassembled as Kat, Gabrielle and Hale all jet set throughout Europe trying to fix their mistakes.

The characters each seem a little bit more mature in this book. Except the Bagshaw twins. They are still crazy as hell. Kat seems content with her skills but refuses to call herself a thief despite stealing things as she avoids the term which shows good character development. I was thankful that Carter is able to keep a character growing instead of making the female all whiny and woeful at her predicament like so many other books. Hale is as secretive as ever as Kat still cannot figure out his name but we do see him in a rich people enviroment which is interesting. Gabrielle is as lovely as ever but she was a bit more sassy in this book which I like. Each character is really different but they all blend together really well and I love every single one. 

The plot line of this book was a lot more intricate than the last with more references to the ilusive Visily Romani and a much more sly work than in the last one on behalf of the bad guy. There was still a lot of comedy through out though and I found myself laughing out loud to the jokes and dialogue.Not as many twists within the plot line but there were some within the characters. I no longer know who is related to who but I like the family none the less.

Cannot wait to see where the romance goes with Hale and Kat as well as where their work will lead them next in the third book which I believe I am getting for christmas. At least I hope I am since I am on a book buying ban until January...

Rating: 4.3/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About